9th Grade Tutorial Syllabus
Gina Atencio Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: http://educationsource.weebly.com Phone: 505-324-0352 ext 5465
9th Grade Tutorial is an intervention class that is designed to help students with the transition from middle to high school. In the class students will have a variety of opportunities in order to expand their study skills, get extra help, work on homework, listen to guest speakers, and get more involved in the school and larger community. The student’s attendance, behavior, and grades will be closely monitored in order to help provide additional support for student success inside and outside of the classroom.
- Be Respectful- Treat others the way you want to be treated.
- Be Responsible- Understand there will be consequences, both good and bad, for your actions.
- Be Safe- Behavior that takes away from the safety of others will not be tolerated.
- Be Cooperative- Be prepared to work together with all of your classmates.
- Be a Worker- Challenge yourself to be productive. You are here, so use your time wisely.
Class Goals and Procedures
The freshmen year is an important transition year for students and as a result students performance will be monitored.
Attendance- Students will miss five/nine or less days for the entire school year.
- Studies have shown that students who miss 10 or more days of school have a 63% chance of graduating high school in four years compared to students who miss less than 5 days which have a 87% gradation rate.
- Studies have shown that students who are “off track” have a 1 in 4 chance of earning a high school diploma in eight years.
- Studies have shown that students who have re-occurring or major discipline issues throughout the school year have a 1 in 4 chance of gradating high school on time.
Overall goal is to continually work on meeting the above in order improve student success and to help with the transition from middle school to high school and eventually high school to adulthood.
- Studies have shown that freshmen with one of more of the above characteristics has a 75% probability of dropping out of school.
Students who are showing some signs of struggle in regards to their course work, behavior, and/or attendance will follow the below protocol.
The following steps will be taken:
- student teacher conference
- phone call home
- referral or meeting with counselor/administrator
- parent teacher conference.
Incentives will be given for students who meet their goals each quarter and will vary by teacher.
Monday- Portfolio and Reflection and Structured Work Time
Tuesday- Structured Work Time
Wednesday- Study Skills Strategy and Structured Work Time
Thursday- Structured Work Time
Friday- Discussions, Guest Speakers, and/or Special Projects and Structured Work Time
***Student Teacher Conferences will also be ongoing throughout the week
(Day TBD and will vary by student)
No required supplies, however students are expected to bring their assignments and computer on a daily basis.
- Study Skills Assignment 5 points
- Portfolio and Reflection 5 points
- Guest Speaker and Special Projects 5 points
- A weekly GPA will also be taken and is out of 4 points (Weekly GPA scores will be changed at the end of each nine weeks in order to match their final GPA for the quarter)
Final Nine weeks grade will be taken out of total points
Please refer to the FHS handbook regarding all school policies, as they will be a part of the class. This includes dress code, food/drink, technology usage, absences, tardiness, laptop use and all other related topics. If you have questions or concerns regarding any of the policies please let me know.
Course Disclaimer- STUDENTS WHO WOULD LIKE TO EXIT TUTORIAL NEED TO MEET THE FOLLING CRITERIA.
- Student has sustained a 90% or above attendance rate for a semester time period.
- Student has no D’s or F’s on their report card for a semester period.
- Student has no discipline referrals for a semester or longer
I have read and agree to the above information. I also understand that some changes might be made at the discretion of the teacher. I also give permission for photographs of my son or daughter to be used on the website to highlight the class and/or projects.
Please Print Clearly
Parent Phone Number:_______________________________